Market and Economic News from LPL Financial Research Team
Week of February 11, 2019
MARKET COMMENTARY; This weekly update offers insights into domestic and global financial markets events, policy actions, and geopolitical impacts.
- Earnings growth for the fourth quarter is tracking to a solid 17%, above prior estimates but below the pace of the previous three quarters.
- The bar has been substantially lowered for the first quarter, setting up potential upside surprises, particularly if trade uncertainty is diminished.
- We expect S&P 500 companies will be able to at least deliver mid-single-digit earnings growth in 2019, driven by solid economic growth, fiscal stimulus, and share buybacks.
ECONOMIC COMMENTARY; This weekly update offers insights into the U.S. and global economy.
- Consumer confidence has dropped sharply, primarily from what we see as
- Economic fundamentals are still sound and could help stabilize sentiment.
- We have yet to see the signs of excesses that have preceded past recessions.