Market and Economic News from LPL Financial Research Team
Week of November 26, 2018
MARKET COMMENTARY; This weekly update offers insights into domestic and global financial markets events, policy actions, and geopolitical impacts.
- Third quarter earnings season was again very impressive, with S&P 500 Index earnings growing 28% year over year, the fastest pace since the fourth quarter of 2010.
- A pickup in economic growth, strong manufacturing activity, and tax cuts were the key growth drivers.
- Guidance was generally positive despite tariffs and ongoing trade policy uncertainty.
ECONOMIC COMMENTARY; This weekly update offers insights into the U.S. and global economy.
- Domestic capex growth has slowed in recent months as companies grapple with trade uncertainty.
- The recent slowing has interrupted an otherwise solid two years for capital spending growth.
- We expect robust capex growth to resume once U.S. businesses get more clarity around trade.